Friday, March 30, 2012

Brussels Sprouts for People Who Think They Hate Brussels Sprouts

I have to apologize for how long it has been since I have posted! We just moved into our new place and been quite busy! But I am back and ready to share some more recipes! Growing up, I never had Brussels sprouts. My mom never cooked them and I never thought to try them. A few years ago I went to a restaurant in Salt Lake City called The Copper Onion and I had the most delicious Brussels sprouts. This recipe comes pretty close to those yummy Brussels sprouts. Give them a try and you will love them too!

Brussels Sprouts for People Who Think They Hate Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 lb Brussels sprouts
1 tsp salt
2 tbs EVOO
1 tsp hot pepper flakes, or to taste
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4-1/2 tsp nutmeg, or to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions:
Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and remove and discard any discolored outer leaves. If sprouts are large (more than 1 inch in diameter), cut them in quarters lengthwise through the stem end. If smaller, cut them in half.

Bring 2 quarts of water to boil, add salt and sprouts. Boil the sprouts uncovered until they are just crunchy-tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook them. Drain the sprouts well.

Wipe and dry the pot and heat the olive oil in it. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute. Add the sprouts and nutmeg and saute for another minute. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and toss the sprouts until the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment