Friday, March 30, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

This is one of my favorite fall recipes! It is quite simple to make and it smells like fall, which I have been craving since I don't get to experience the fall here in Sunny Florida. I like to bake homemade french bread (earlier post) to dip into the soup. It is so yummy!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Adapted from
Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.

For the Soup:
3-4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
2 yellow onions
2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
2-4 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp curry powder (I choose not to use the curry)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut the butternut squash, onions and apples in 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Divide squash between 2 sheet pans and spread it in a single layer. Roast for 35-45 minutes, until very tender.

Meanwhile, heat chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done, coarsely blend in a food processor or blender with some chicken stock. When all of the vegetables are processed, place them in a large pot and add enough chicken stock to make a thick soup. Add the curry powder, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Taste for seasonings and serve.

*I usually half the recipe if it is just for me and Bubba.

No comments:

Post a Comment