Thursday, March 1, 2012

Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Feta Salad

I found this recipe over a year ago and now can't remember where I found it. So forgive me if I am not giving credit. But this is one of my favorite go-to recipes. It is good as a main dish or a side dish. I have started roasting the sweet potato and onion instead of sauteing them. Bake at 400F for about 25-3o min.[Makes 2 large servings as a main dish or about 4 as a side dish]

Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Feta Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 cup water
1 whole garlic clove, peeled
1 sweet potato
1/2 onion
2-3 cups spinach
feta cheese

Directions:
  1. Put the quinoa, water and garlic clove in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes.
  2. While the quinoa is simmering, dice up the onion and cut the sweet potato into small cubes.
  3. Heat a saute pan over medium heat with a little olive oil (about 1 tsp). Add the sweet potatoes, stirring every few minutes. Cover the sweet potatoes to trap a little steam and help tenderize them for a few minutes. (I add a couple tbs of water to help make some steam.)
  4. When the sweet potatoes are about half way tender, add the onion. Cook until both the sweet potatoes and onion are tender. Add the spinach and continue cooking until wilted. Remove from heat.
  5. When the quinoa is finished cooking, smash up the garlic clove, spreading it through the quinoa. Combine the quinoa with the sweet potato mixture.
  6. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with feta cheese.

*While I am cooking the sweet potato and onion, I will add some seasoning like Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper. Also, I don't add the spinach to the sweet potatoes until it is off the heat and in a bowl. This way, the spinach doesn't get too wilted and still has a little crunch. Make sure to watch the quinoa and to not over cook. Once all the water is gone, take it off the heat, otherwise it will burn to the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment