Wednesday, February 29, 2012


Last summer Bubba and I went to the Farmers Market at Pioneer Park in Salt Lake City. I was on the hunt for heirloom tomatoes because I had found this Tomato Tart recipe that I wanted to try out and I thought it would be great heirlooms. We found the most beautiful tomatoes. We picked out the ones we wanted and the nice farmer said, "that will be 17 dollars." Bubba and I looked at each other in astonishment (how could a couple pounds of tomatoes cost that much?) paid the kind farmer and went on our way. We couldn't believe that we had just spent so much on tomatoes! Let's just say this one expensive tart, but it turned out delicious and I would say that it was worth it. Maybe just try to find less expensive tomatoes!

Ingredients
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie crust (I made my pie crust)
  • 1 1/2 lb. firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbs tapenade or pesto
  • 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsely plus extra for garnish
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tbs capers for garnish (I didn't use these)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425F.

  2. Layer pie crust with tomato slices, and sprinkle with 2 oz. feta. Beat together eggs and tapenade until well mixed, and stir in mozzarella parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour half of mixture over first tomato layer. Add second layer of tomato slices, and top with remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining feta cheese on top.

  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until egg mixture firms and feta browns. Remove from oven, garnish with sprinkles of parsley and capers, slice and serve.
Cooks note: I used a large tart dish instead of a 9-inch pie pan. This meant that I almost doubled the egg mixture. It also too closer to 45 minutes to bake since it was a larger dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment