Grits Souffle with Tomato Coulis
- 1 cup grits, plus extra for dusting
- 3 cups low-fat milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 lb. steamed asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 large egg whites, plus 1 large egg
- 2 tsp garlic oil (I used EVOO and 1 crushed garlic clove)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 15 oz. can diced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
- To make Souffle: Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 6 8-oz. ramekins with cooking spray and dust with grits.
- Bring grits, milk and baking powder to a boil in a pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8 minutes, whisking constantly. Cool 5 minutes, then stir in asparagus, cheese and whole egg.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into grits mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Divided among ramekins. Bake for 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- To make Coulis: Heat oil in pot over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 6 minutes, or until soft. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper, and simmer 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Puree in a blender until smooth. Un-mold souffles and serve with tomato coulis and asparagus Spears for garnish, if desired.